ABOUT LANCASTER PA:
Originally called Hickory Town, the city was renamed after the English city of Lancaster by native John Wright. Its symbol, the red rose, is from the House of Lancaster.
During the American Revolution, Lancaster was the capital of the United States for one day at the Court House (built 1739, destroyed by fire 1784 and rebuilt before relocating to current Lancaster County Courthouse in 1852; site now Soldiers & Sailors Monument at Penn Square c 1874), on September 27, 1777, after the Continental Congress fled Philadelphia, which had been captured by the British. The revolutionary government then moved still farther away to York, Pennsylvania.
In addition to Lancaster’s boutiques, vintage shops, and art galleries (Gallery Row), Park City Center is the largest enclosed shopping center in South Central Pennsylvania. The mall includes more than 150 stores and is anchored by Boscov’s, JCPenney, and Kohl’s. Park City opened in September 1971.
Built in 1889, the Lancaster Central Market is the oldest continuously operated farmers market in the United States, and many tourists come to purchase the handmade Amish goods that are not commonly found elsewhere. Lancaster is best known for being the hub of Pennsylvania’s Amish Country.